Saturday 18 May 2019

Why the domain name?

I've done pilgrimages before - on my own, with others and leading a group.  There has always been an understanding in my mind that it's a meaningful journey to a sacred place, although many different things can make a journey meaningful and a place sacred.
This journey on the South Downs Way is different though.  Yes, I know it will be meaningful - I have already spent some time in prayer and reading to make myself open to what it is that God will show me as I walk.  However, the route isn't recognised as a pilgrimage and walking from Winchester to Eastbourne means that I'm going away from a cathedral city, not towards one.  Never having been to Eastbourne, I really don't know what I'll find there.
It is clearly the right thing for me to be doing at this time.  I had set the time aside in my diary some time ago, not recognising that it would end just 4 days before my Collation and Induction as vicar at St Francis and St Mary's churches in West Wickham.  And finding that two other people in the congregations were doing long walks for different reasons meant that we were able to widen out the discussion of walking challenges and linking this with pilgrimage.  This is not just for the fit and able, but for those who might want to join in from an armchair.
Hence the start of a blog.  This is an opportunity for others to follow me over the next couple of weeks as I finish my preparation, walk the 100 miles and then return to West Wickham.  Maybe that's where the sacred space is - right here where I am now.  I'll let you know.




No comments:

Post a Comment