Friday 24 May 2019

Friday - Modern parable of the lost sheep

Luke 15:6
Things have obviously changed since Jesus' day. I found a lost sheep today out on the downs. I called the RSPCA, but got stuck on hold (busy with other more deserving cases).  I rang the B&B where I'd been staying but got a voicemail (probably serving customers in their cafĂ©).  Finally I got to speak to someone at a local estate office who knew the farmer using that field. Wasn't that great how God put in place obstacles to prevent me from speaking to people who'd have difficulty helping me and put me in touch with exactly the right person?
The farmer had moved the flock of sheep on Tuesday afternoon, but hadn't missed the lost lamb. Thankfully he's now been reunited with his mother, but there didn't seem to be much rejoicing happening, except on my part.


I wonder what would have happened to the poor thing if I hadn't been there. And listening to the conversations going on around me in the pub at the moment, there's a deficit of joy in many of these too.
Even though the walking is proving to be a bit of an endurance test, I like to think that I can still find the joy in it, like my first proper view of the sea today over Chichester - wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment