Wednesday 22 May 2019

Abide with me

John 15:5.  Today was my first day of walking alone. The reading at communion in the cathedral was about abiding in Christ and bearing fruit  This is exactly what I'll be doing over the next few days - abiding in Christ. But what about bearing fruit?  
For a vine such as this, it's not until later in the year, once lots of sun has shone on the plant, that fruit will start to be seen.  For us too, it's not just about brief moments abiding in Christ - it's a lifestyle.

My reflection for today was about how abiding in Christ and bearing fruit is particularly difficult when it comes to loving others. Yes, I spoke if spoken to, but the depth of conversation today was very thin. Even more difficult if it's someone you know you find annoying. And yet, abiding in Christ would mean seeing everyone as loved by God and therefore someone that we should love too in whatever way is possible. (The sun shines on the whole of the vine. It doesn't miss out any bits.) When we abide with Christ, it's like we're trying to get close to all others. I wonder if we really do this? I know I could do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment