Monday 20 May 2019

Walking backwards

Today I did a final practice walk from home, through Keston to High Elms Country Park and then to the Princess Royal University Hospital on the London Loop, following the route in the opposite direction to the guide book, since that is what I'll be doing on the South Downs Way.  The guidebook explains the route from Eastbourne, but I'm walking from Winchester, so that the wind is normally at my back rather than in my face.  This blessing from Richard's home group seems to be very appropriate:
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back. 
May the sun shine warm upon your face; 
and until we meet again, 
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

It was interesting to find two places associated with environmental and social issues: Keston Bog, which is being returned to its original state, when Charles Darwin studied insectivorous plants there and the Wilberforce Oak where William Wilberforce discussed his plan to end slavery with William Pitt.

I have also been packing and trying to travel light.  I thought that this was a good image from my walk today to keep in mind:
Tomorrow I am planning to leave all the stresses of day to day life behind so that I can concentrate on the walking, the prayer and all those things that God will reveal.

No comments:

Post a Comment